I was doing an apple core quilt with the pink/green/brown scraps left over from my RRCB. I decided that it needed strings too, so I set my heart on a string border. I decided to applique the quilt top to the border, and then I decided that the corners needed
to be mitred.
Well that all sounds real simple. Actually it doesn’t even sound all the simple now that I’ve written it out, but it did in my head
(if you know what I mean). Finally, yesterday I pieced and pieced strings until I had enough for the border, and today, I put it on. Now that I have done it, I am wondering if it is one of those things that has a much easier way to do it and I, of course, found the hardest way. The way I did it was to turn the top under a quarter of an inch (gluing the edge down) and then pin to the border, then construct a mitred block for the corner. When I had one side and a corner done, I glued down the top to the border. I also left in some pins just in case. Repeated for each side, carefully postioning in a mitred block in each corner so the tip of the applique core touched the mitre line.
After I had the border going all the way around the quilt, I machine appliqued the top to the border using a variegated red thread and a buttonhole stitch. If you know of a simple way to do this, please feel free to leave a comment. But be gentle. My “Scrapapples” is now ready to quilt. Yay!
Also this weekend, I put the finishing touches on a Four Patch Swirl, which I had listed on my UFO list simply as “Cuddle Quilt”. Marking off another one. What a great weekend!