When I saw that Clue 3 in the Grand Illusion Mystery was just making a 2 x 4 patch with simple squares, no triangles, I thought it would be easy-peasy. However, it ended up taking a lot longer than I thought, for a couple of reasons. First, I have a die cutter which had been helpful in the previous clues and that saved me quite a bit of time on them. I did not have a die to cut the strips for this clue. And since these strips were smaller, I dug though my scrap box and came up with about 1/3 of the neutrals and blacks out of the scrap box. (No, it didn’t make a dent!)
So secondly, since I didn’t have a die and I had many scraps, I ended up sewing many, many single squares together. That might have seemed a bit over the top, but I didn’t have as much variety of my beiges as some of my other colors, so adding more variety to the neutrals and blacks seemed to be a good idea. But it increased both the cutting and sewing time dramatically. And I couldn’t even start on it ’til Saturday afternoon, since I had promised to quilt a quilt and I had to do that Saturday.
My color scheme is about as far off the reservation as I’ve seen. It is going to be a much calmer, but darker quilt. More earthy. Hope I like it!
For more Grand Illusion Mystery quilts, visit http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-3.html.