As promised, I am uploading a picture of my completed Ugly Fabric Challenge. The rules on this challenge were pretty simple. It had a minimum/maximum size of 10/40 inches per side. Mine is 23 inches square. You could only add up to 5 fabrics and the ugly fabric must be recognizable. The ugly fabric is the patterned fabric–not that center diamond, that is actually another fabric that matches quite well (the other fabrics I added: the cream tone on tone background, the purple batik). You could not die or bleach the ugly fabric and the challenge must be quilted, but it can be embellished in any way. I used the ugly fabric again in a “flange” of fabric tucked inside the binding, for which I again used the purple batik.
So I came up with this relatively simple applique piece and added some feathers to snazz it up a bit. My guild here is heavy into art quilting, so I’m sure I’ll be competing against heavily embellished quilts. But I’m proud I was able to make something that looks like a traditional quilt, and am quite pleased with the result. I’ll let you know next month how it fares in the contest.